Date: Sun 14 Apr 2019

By David Simpson

Title Race is Ajar a Little

#SFL Weekend Review - Premier South

All of a sudden, the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division South title race has taken a bit of a turn in fortunes.

Leaders Weymouth suffered a surprise 1-0 defeat away to Beaconsfield Town, meaning second-placed Taunton Town are still in with a slim chance of winning the championship, although they are still five points adrift with only three matches to play.

Charlie Losasso`s goal after 69 minutes saw mid-table Beaconsfield to victory against the Terras.

Taunton moved back into second place after gaining three crucial points in a 2-1 home success against play-off chasing Kings Langley.

Taunton took the lead on 31 minutes when top scorer Rocky Neal charged into the box, skipped past two defenders before shooting home.

He also scored a second only 6 minutes later with a terrific effort from 30 yards.

But, on 63 minutes, Kings suddenly found themselves back in the game with a goal by Steve Ward.

But the Peacocks, roared on by the majority in the 564 crowd, held firm for three crucial points to make it a slightly more interesting Easter!

Another of the shock results of the day was Swindon Supermarine's 1-0 win over Metropolitan Police, who started the day in second place and now drop to third.

Harry Williams proved to be `Marine`s hero with a 49th minute goal at the WebbsWood.

Salisbury were impressive 4-1 winners away to neighbours Dorchester Town and remain fourth.

A crowd of 607 at the Avenue Stadium saw Tom Whelan and Claudio Herbert give the Whites a two-goal advantage by the half-hour mark.

Chris Shephard added a third 2 minutes into the second half and the same player made it 4-0 on the hour-mark, with Billy Lowes netting an 82nd-minute consolation for the Magpies.

Poole Town has gone into the fifth spot – above Kings Langley - after their 3-2 home success against Basingstoke Town, who are still not safe.

Luke Roberts on the half-hour mark and James Constable 10 minutes later gave the Dolphins a two-goal interval lead.

But Reece Rusher on 58 minutes and Sam Argent on 73 minutes pulled `Stoke level, only for James Boote to break their hearts with a Poole winner 12 minutes from the end.

Frome Town are all-but down after they lost 1-0 at home to Hartley Wintney, for whom Steve Duff scored the only goal with 20 minutes to go.

Who joins them and Staines though is tight, with Gosport Borough holding the final relegation spot after a 3-0 Privett Park loss to Merthyr Town, for whom Ryan Prosser after 12 minutes, Ian Traylor on 51 minutes and Kieran Lewis 4 minutes from time were on the mark.

But Walton Casuals are only two points in front of Boro and Basingstoke three points in front, with Hendon and Wimborne Town holding a five-point advantage over the bottom three with nine points to play for.

Tiverton Town probably made themselves safe by winning 2-1 at Walton Casuals, thanks to top scorer Levi Landricombe on 47 minutes and Josh Key on 63 minutes – Cole Brown having equalised from the spot in between.

Hendon remains in trouble after losing 3-0 at Farnborough, whose Connor Cullen broke the deadlock right on half-time.

Rob Hylton-Bartley on the hour-mark and Kurtis Cumberbatch on 68 minutes killed the Greens off.

Wimborne was the only side in the bottom eight to win on Saturday, 2-0 at a now tenth-placed Harrow Borough, courtesy of Jordan Lee after 32 minutes and Matt Oldring on 69 minutes.

Already-doomed Staines Town is now only three goals off the ignominy of conceding 150 goals after a 7-0 thrashing at the Meadow by Chesham United.

It was 6-0 at the break – Eoin Casey and veteran Jefferson Louis with braces and Luke Heneghan and Lewis Rolfe singles – with Louis completing his hat-trick in the final few seconds.

Read More At and Follow
Non League Today