Saturday's Premier Division action review

1 year ago By David Watters

Chippenham Town made it twenty matches unbeaten and lead the EVO-STIK League Southern's Premier Division table by four points from a Leamington outfit who made it nine games without defeat on Saturday, writes Pitchero's Steve Whitney.

Chippenham beat fifth-placed Merthyr Town 3-1 at Hardenhuish Park in front of a good crowd of 723.

They saw a goalless first period before David Pratt put the home side in front just three minutes after the restart. Then a brace of Jake Andrews penalties in the 73rd and 91st minutes, sandwiched by an 84th minute Jack Compton reply, sealed the Bluebirds win.

The Brakes hammered Dunstable Town 5-0 at the New Windmill Ground, taking a 3-0 interval lead with goals from Courtney Baker-Richardson after 14 minutes, a Gideon Okito own goal three minutes later and Rob Thompson-Brown`s spot-kick in the 25th minute.

Jack Edwards added a fourth in the 54th minute and Richard Taundry rounded things off 13 minutes from time.

Slough Town remain in third spot, four points behind Leamington, after winning 4-1 at Arbour Park against bottom side Cinderford Town in front of a gate of 626.

Warren Harris after 23 minutes and Gavin James right on the whistle, gave the Rebels a two-goal interval lead. Chris Flood added a third six minutes into the second period and, after Jarred Welch`s 65th minute penalty reply, James` second made it 4-1 with 19 minutes remaining.

Hitchin Town are fourth after winning 2-1 at Redditch United.

Brett Donnelly bagged a brace for the Canaries in the 40th and 78th minutes, Dior Angus having replied for the Reds after 65 minutes.

Banbury United are realistically the only other play-off contender after Frome Town failed to beat Kettering Town at home.

The Puritans won 4-0 at the Meadow against managerless Chesham United, thanks to a Ricky Johnson brace in the 25th and 75th minutes, sandwiched by a Luke Carnell effort on 29 minutes and tailed by a Sam Humphreys goal in the first minute of stoppage time.

Frome and Kettering shared six goals, with the Somerset hosts taking a first minute lead through James Fitzgibbon.

Aaron O`Connor levelled 17 minutes later, only for Fitzgibbon to net a second on 33 minutes. James Brighton took the Poppies into the break on level terms with a 40th minute second.

Then a Jordan Walker own goal took them in front for the first time on 58 minutes but 10 minutes later Ollie Knight equalised to earn Frome a draw that leaves them nine points adrift of the top five.

It proved to be a good day for Cirencester Town in the battle to stay up after they won 2-1 at home to fellow strugglers St Neots Town to drag the Saints back towards danger and leave themselves side four points adrift of the safety-mark.

In-demand Jevani Brown put the Saints ahead after 23 minutes but that lasted barely five minutes as Alan Griffin equalised. Ellison Dunton`s 35th minute second for Ciren proved to be a winner.

Cirencester moved above Hayes & Yeading United, who suffered a 6-0 hammering at the Carlsberg Stadium to Biggleswade Town.

And it saw Rhys Hoenes complete a hat-trick of penalties, including a 16th minute opener, the only scores at the break. Tony Burnett then bagged a brace and Craig Daniel the other in a damaging defeat for the strugglers.

Second-bottom Cambridge City also lost, 2-0 at the Bob Lucas Stadium to Weymouth, for whom Aaron Rodrigues after 32 minutes and Calvin Brooks just before the hour-mark were the targetmen.

Kings Langley remain just above the drop zone, four points in front of Cirencester, after losing 3-1 at home to Stratford Town.

Ed Ahenkorah bagged a brace for the visitors in the 37th minute from the spot and 43rd minute. Dean Hitchcock reduced the deficit on 66 minutes but a goal five minutes into stoppage time from Mike Taylor sealed the visitors` win.

Elsewhere, Chris Ward broke the deadlock at The Walks to give King`s Lynn Town a 51st minute lead against Basingstoke Town in a 2-1 win before Aaron Jarvis equalised 14 minutes later, only for Tom Ward to restore the hosts` lead less than three minutes after that.

Ben Seymour-Shove scored the only goal of the game after just eight minutes to earn St Ives Town the points at home to Dorchester Town in the day`s other game.

Where next?

Dragons are running out of options EVO-STIK League Southern Basingstoke Town have gone back to the drawing board to find a new home and secure their long-term future after their local authority blocked their final hopes for a new stadium.
Council cash boost for pitch plan Dorchester Town's officials are pushing ahead with plans to install a 3G pitch after their local authority agreed to pick up half the bill.

The Evo-Stik South newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.