Saturday's Premier Division action review

1 year ago By David Watters

Hitchin Town joined Leamington at the top of the EVO-STIK League Southern's Premier Division table on Saturday, writes Pitchero's Steve Whitney.

Leamington were held to a 1-1 draw at the New Windmill Ground by fifth-placed Chippenham Town, and that allowed the Canaries to pull level on points with a 1-0 win at Top Field against Stratford Town, Robbie Burns` early fourth minute goal eventually proving enough.

A crowd of just under 500 saw David Pratt give the visiting Bluebirds a 28th minute lead. The Brakes levelled 11 minutes into the second half through Courtney Baker-Richardson but were unable to find a winner.

Merthyr Town moved into third place, six points behind the top two, after they won 2-0 at lowly Cirencester Town, while Slough Town, who held third at the start of play, were beaten 2-0 at St Ives Town.

First half goals from Ryan Prosser after 38 minutes and Kayne McLaggon on 45 minutes proved enough for the Martyrs, while Dubi Ogbonna after 16 minutes and an 82nd minute penalty from Jack Higgs were the Saints marksmen.

Sixth-placed Frome Town were held to a goalless home draw by struggling Kings Langley, allowing Banbury United to move to within a point of them in seventh after a 1-0 win at the Avenue Stadium against Dorchester Town, thanks to Mark Bell`s late, 86th minute spot-kick.

Chesham United, with games in hand, are two points further back after they too won 1-0 at The Meadow against Dunstable Town, Ryan Blake`s eighth minute goal proving decisive.

Kettering Town just about kept themselves in the top five race after a 2-1 Latimer Park win over Basingstoke Town.

A crowd of 658 saw Paul Malone put the Poppies in front after 27 minutes and Rene Howe add a second just before the break. Aaron Redford reduced the deficit in the 71st minute but the hosts held on for the points.

Two of the bottom four – Hayes & Yeading United and Cambridge City – meet on Sunday but neither of the other two were able to gain a win.

Bottom-markers Cinderford Town lost 2-1 at home to Biggleswade Town, whose Russell Short gave them an early fourth minute lead that Rhys Hoeness added to just before the break. Karnell Chambers `won` the second half for the Foresters with a 79th minute reply but they couldn`t find an equaliser.

And fourth-bottom St Neots Town suffered a 4-0 home battering by Weymouth, whose Jordan Copp opened the scoring after 17 minutes. Then second half goals from Conor Jevon, Dean Evans and Stuart Fleetwood wrapped up a comfortable Terras win.

Elsewhere, King`s Lynn Town looked to be heading for a win at Redditch United when they led through Toby Hilliard`s 76th minute effort but a goal from Gurjit Singh three minutes into stoppage time earned the Reds a point.

Follow the EVO-STIK League Southern on Twitter at @SouthernLeague1

Where next?

Saturday's South & West action review Hereford FC took another big step towards the EVO-STIK League Southern's Division One South & West title on Saturday with a win at Paulton Rovers while second-placed Tiverton Town were held to a draw, writes Pitchero's Steve Whitney.
Stopper staying for title charge After helping them solve an early season keeping crisis, Portsmouth stopper Alex Bass will be between the sticks at Salisbury until the end of the EVO-STIK League Southern campaign.

The Evo-Stik South newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.